Lead Medical Writer
|Job Type||Permanent Full Time|
|Location||City of London|
|Salary||See Job Description|
Lead Medical Writer
Pop Science is delighted to bring to you this Office based Vacancy for a Lead Medical Writer based in Central London.
As the Lead Medical Writer you will take line management responsibility for the Medical Education team and will ensure that high standards are maintained on all written materials across a range of media, including: slides, manuscripts, posters, meeting reports, websites and other communication activities.
You should already have experience of and will be able to provide line-management and training to a team of medical writers, manage writing resources and processes, build positive relationships with clinical experts and colleagues, and ensure the consistent delivery of high-quality content that is aligned with the communication goals for each project.
All interested candidates will be required to complete a writing test.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK in order to be considered for this role.
More about what you will be doing:
- Leads the content development of written materials to ensure they are clinically accurate and on-message
- Ensures projects are delivered on-time and within-budget
- Coordinates and communicates plans, priorities and goals
- Develops and deploys procedures to monitor project progress
- Defines, embeds and communicates standards for accuracy on all written materials
- Manages writing resources including junior writers and freelancers
- Mentors and advises junior team members and shares best-practice procedures
- Works with multidisciplinary project teams and external advisors
- Understands and builds an increasing knowledge of the science/medicine of thrombosis to the degree required for effective communication with internal team members, clients, authors and target audiences
- Develops and maintains the publication plans for various studies
- Occasional travel, including international travel, required
You should recognise yourself here otherwise it's not for you :
- Team leadership skills
- Excellent Project management skills - setting goals, planning and execution of tasks
- Excellent organizational skills - ability to handle multiple tasks and to prioritize
- The ability to anticipate and escalate issues (as appropriate) and identify solutions in a timely fashion
- An aptitude for interpreting data and distilling complex scientific information into engaging and effective content, with a keen attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to find and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar and check text for consistency, clarity and accuracy
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work independently and effectively in a team across multiple projects
- A flexible and proactive attitude, with the ability to prioritize and work to tight deadlines without compromising quality
- A high level of personal motivation and initiative
- Good negotiation skills
- Strategic analytical thinking and decision making skills
- Strong and proven customer engagement and executive communications
- Excellent accuracy and attention to details
The must haves, we don't want to waste your time:
- A PhD or MSc in life sciences
- At least 7 years previous experience as a Medical Writer in the life sciences industry
- Previous experience in publication planning
- Experience working with collaborative, cross-functional teams
- Project management experience
- Some line management experience
- A basic understanding of statistics
- Knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry and processes
- Familiarity with ICMJE, GPP2, STROBE and other publication standards
- Familiarity with regulatory standards, e.g. ABPI code of practice, good clinical practice, ACCME Standards for Commercial Support and Sunshine Act
Contact Bryan with your CV at bryan@
Pop Science are an innovative, personal and experienced recruitment and staffing consultancy. Our aim is to make science more popular by championing careers in clinical and scientific research, technology, engineering, maths and more. Whether you want a permanent job, a contract role or even a change in perspective with some volunteering, contact us and let us help you. We support working practises that promote happiness at work.
We're an experienced, skilled team with personality; we have a passion for science, and drive and enthusiasm to make a difference to you.
Find out more at Pop Science - Scientific Recruitment